A Couple of Thunderbird Questions

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Wed May 4 06:56:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-05 at 23:34 -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:

> > OK, found them under ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/nuqi35wy.default/Mail/Local
> > Folders/Inbox.sbd
> >
> > (I have no idea what the 'nuqi35wy' is all about.  Anybody know?)
>
> It's some random generation of profiles thing, been around in
> Netscape/Mozilla and Windows as far as I can remember although I don't
> know why.

if it's random  then someone or an application cannot guess where your
user profile is be located on your computer.  Not knowing where it is
could make a big difference if there is one day a new still-unknown
vulnerability in Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird that could read your user
profile (i.e, your cache, user profile, address book, etc). The
randomness in your profile path could possibly stop that future
vulnerability.

--
Daniel Robitaille
 GPG: http://robitaille.fastmail.fm/pubkey.asc (0x5C19F466)