Performance shock

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 16:23:21 UTC 2005

Aaron,

I'm comparing my Ubuntu system to another distribution I optimized now.
I'm running Ubuntu on a AMD Athon 2600 (2.0 Ghz) with 512 MB and it runs
pretty fast. Nothing like the times you noted below. The other system
runs a Sempron 2200 (1.5 Ghz) with 768 MB. It run faster than any I have
ever seen. The chip sets are both VIA and the motherboards are very
similar.

Firefox is the only application with latency issues in Ubuntu on my box.
So, I'm checking to see if the Sempron box has initialization scripts to
spawn it faster.

Another issue to consider has to do with laptops in general. They all
run slower than desktops. Part of the problem has to do with the hard
drives and the other the processors. Even though most laptops say they
use a XYZ processor - they aren't identical to the desktop version. But,
even with the slower response times in laptops, your times appear
unusually slow.

I'm going to finish the process comparison and reply with a list of
gconf2 commands to speed up gnome; configuration file changes to free up
memory; elimination of some daemons to speed the boot and shutdown
process and some troubleshooting questions to see how your system
configuration rates with mine.

The developers of Ubuntu have done a lot of optimizations, but perhaps
we can do more to give it more torque.

Tom