Performance shock

Andy Choens gunksta at gmail.com
Tue May 3 16:54:13 UTC 2005

> Firefox is the only application with latency issues in Ubuntu on my box.
> So, I'm checking to see if the Sempron box has initialization scripts to
> spawn it faster.

I just quit using Firefox.  Epiphany is comes up quicker and
integrates better into the GNOME desktop.  The version that ships with
Ubuntu is compiled against Firefox, not Mozilla, so you still get
features like the type-ahead searching.

It's not quite as pretty, and the bookmarks take some getting used to,
since it uses a totally different bit of logic over the usual bookmark
routine, but after some adjustment I like it a lot.

On most newer systems removing apmd will also free up a tiny amount of
resources.

--andy