Firefox blocks my firefox in hoary ubuntu

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Tue May 3 09:39:54 UTC 2005

Stephen R Laniel schrieb:
> On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 11:56:31PM +0200, Jesús Gascón Gómez wrote:
>
>>>From time to time and randomly, when I visit some websites with Firefox,
>>everything in gnome gets freezed, and I have to reset my computer.
>
> Are certain websites always the problem?

I take the liberty to answer, because I have the same or at least a
similar problem.

>>Has anybody the same problem? Should I see firefox' logs in case I find
>>there the problem?
>
> I don't think that Firefox has logs. Though I'd be
> pleasantly surprised if it did. Ordinarily when you submit a
> bug to Bugzilla, you do an strace(1). So if you think you
> can reliably reproduce the crash, try stracing Firefox when
> you think the problem's going to show up. Output the strace
> to a file; that file will contain everything up to the
> moment that the system freezes.
>
> Does the whole system freeze, or just GNOME? Can you press
> LeftCtrl+Alt+F1 to get a virtual terminal? If even the

No, the keyboard is dead, even num lock can't be activated anymore.

> virtual terminal doesn't come up, then you've got a
> systemwide crash.

No, it's a not systemwide crash, because it's possible to remote
login via ssh and kill gdm. Then I can login again directly on the
previously frozen machine. So, I think, in fact only the GUI,
especially X was frozen.

> If it does come up, it's just GNOME that's
> crashed. In the latter case, go to a virtual terminal, log
> in, and kill GDM (/etc/init.d/gdm stop). You'll need to be
> root to do that.

That friendly way does not work from a remote machine. I have to

$ kill `pidof gdm`

I think X is freezing and by killing gdm X is also killed and
started again.

>>How can I find any solution? Can the problem be in java, mozilla,
>>etc...?
>
> The only way to find out is to be a good scientist and
> remove all the other variables that could possibly be
> causing the problem. Uninstall any extensions and see if the
> problem persists. Better yet, download the stock version of
> Firefox from mozilla.org, install it, and see if you can
> reproduce the problem in there. That way you can tell if
> it's an Ubuntu-Firefox problem or a stock-Firefox problem.

As I wrote in my answer to Jesús Gascón Gómez not only firefox
freezes the GUI on my machine. So it's difficult to go your way,
even if it is usually the right way.

[...]

Regards,
     Christoph