unseen added devices

taeb taeb at netins.net
Tue May 3 04:35:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 07:28:36PM -0700, Ed Fletcher wrote:

> I don't have a Mac, but I would think that adding a printer will be the
> same in any case.
>
> When you run the Add Printer tool, does it offer you the choice of a
> local printer on a serial port?
>
> Ed

The first step of the window that comes up from choosing to add a
printer has two choices for printer type: local (which is selected by
default) and network.  It also has an unselected button for using
detected printers, and the display area associated with this button has
the text: No printers detected.  And finally, there is a button for "Use
another printer by specifying a port".  There is a printer-port list
associated with this button from which to choose a port.  All of them
are usb ports; neither of the built-in serial ports are on the list.  I
do have a usb card I added so I could run a Logitech 3-button mouse.

Like you, I presume adding a printer software looks the same on pc's and
mac's.

Thanks for your reply, Ed.

tony