trouble with loopback, gnome apps; "SET failed"

matthieufecteau ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue May 3 02:09:47 UTC 2005

There's a bug in Ubuntu ...  :-|   The loopback is not started for some
reason when the system starts, for some people that have some
configuration (I don't know why) ...

To correct this start the loopback manually with :

$sudo ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1

I had a problem with cups because of that (the loopback not
functionning), so I had to restart cups after that also for printing to
work with :

$sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

To make the change persistent (in each boot), you could put this 2
commands in the file /sbin/setup.sh with :

$sudo gedit /sbin/setup.sh

(this file is empty by default)

You have to make the file executable by

$sudo chmod +x /sbin/setup.sh

/sbin/setup.sh is executed at the end of the booting in every debian
based distros like ubuntu ...

Hope that this helped ...

--
matthieufecteau