Problems setting up a simple ftp-server

KrIaXPaTaLa ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue May 3 00:43:23 UTC 2005

Tnkz m8! After some research, I found this basic, basic command:

sudo users-admin

This is how you create a user! And this was my problem all along.

Then, I added a user account to my proftpd.conf file like this:

#USER ACCOUNTS

#VALID LOGINS

<Limit LOGIN>

AllowUser escola

DenyALL

</Limit>

#LOGIN: ESCOLA

<Anonymous /home/pedromiranda/KRIAXPATALA/Escola>

User escola

Group escola

AnonRequirePassword on

MaxClients 3 "The server is full, hosting %m users"

DisplayLogin welcome.msg

DisplayFirstChdir .msg

AllowOverwrite off

<Limit LOGIN>

Allow from all

Deny from all

</Limit>

<Limit ROOT_DIR_ALLOW RETR LIST NLST MDTM SIZE STAT CWD XCWD PWD XPWD
CDUP XCUP>

AllowAll

</Limit>

<Limit ROOT_DIR_DENY DELE APPE STOR STOU SITE_CHMOD SITE_CHGRP RNFR
RNTO MKD XMKD RMD XRMD>

DenyAll

</Limit>

</Anonymous>

#END OF USER ACCOUNTS

--END OF CODE--

In my case, "escola" is the name of the user I added with users-admin
(escola means School, in portuguese, just for the record). The group
"escola" was created automatically when I created the user. The
directory wich the ftp access can be anyone, as long as it has
permissions. In my case, the user can only read and download files. No
writing is possible (like you can probably tell from the <Limit>
tags).

Best regards,

Kriax.

--