[Fwd: Paypal® NET Security Department]

david nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 2 15:03:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 10:24 -0400, David Teague wrote:
> I get spoof email like this a lot. I always forward
> suspicious mail that looks like it is from PayPal
> to spoof at paypal.com
>
> They will tell you whether it is a spoof or is really theirs.
>

> > I have receive this email (attached), but since i remember i have add to
> > any paypal system.
> > If you check the links at the email, they are for a non know dns name.
> > I really don't trust in it.
> > What do you think?
> > Has anybody receive also this kind of mail ?
> >
> > Thanks.

I get these sorts of emails a lot too. I suppose most people do. Two
things occur to me.
I know for a fact that they're spoofs because I've never used paypal in
my life, nor do I have an account with ebay, barclays, lloyds etc etc
etc.
The main thing that occurs to me is this.
How would they know they had an error in your account? Unless they had
two sets of records that didn't match. (and then it would just take a
time stamp check to check which one was corrupt?)
The amount of people registered with paypal et al would mean it's highly
unlikely someone sits there all day checking records to see if they're
valid.
They would presume that their records were correct unless they knew for
sure that their records were corrupt. If an institution like that found
corruption in their records they would likely break the news via
established news channels and not via email alone.

Just a thought or two.

nux