Very slow ripping

Andy Choens gunksta at gmail.com
Mon May 2 00:23:50 UTC 2005

> Hi Stephen (and to the others whom replayed to you).
>
> I don't think there's a problem here.

I actually disagree.  I agree with your points, below..........

>Ripping Audio-CD depend on a lot
> of factors, one of them of course is the speed of CD-ROM drive but it's
> not the only thing! To name some:
>       * The brand of your CD-ROM drive have a lot to do with this.  I
>         found (from my personal experience) that some brands are *much*
>         better than other.  For example Plextor and Yamaha are two of
>         the best brands out there, Teac is okay, while BenQ, Acer, and
>         Sony (my current one) are not that good (remember, this is *my
>         own* experience!).
>       * The condition of CD itself is another factor that *greatly*
>         affects the ripping speed. Clean, not scratched, and commercial
>         (silver) CDs are much better than the others.
>
> The only way to see if your system have a problem or not is to try and
> rip the *same* CD on another system (Mac or Windows) and preferably with
> the same CD-ROM drive as yours and compare the time of the two ripping
> process.
>
> (I ripped some CDs myself, and I found some (silver/commercial) to take
> far less time than some others (created myself a long time ago!).  Your
> mileage may vary!)
>
> Ziyad.

I agree with everything you said.  But, there is a config issue with
Ubuntu here.  With Ubuntu I can't get my ripping speed above 1.2x with
a brand new CD.  I tried on a friend's machine and it ripped fine.  On
SUSE this same laptop could handle anywhere from about 10 to 15x
depending on the factors you have mentionned.  The OP seems to have a
system comparable to mine, and should be getting similar speeds, not
1.x speeds.  No modern system should be ripping at 1.x speeds.

This is a Ubuntu or Debian thing not Linux.  I don't know how fast my
machine would be on Windows....it's never booted into it unless they
tested it at the factory.

--andy