Very slow ripping

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at spymac.com
Sun May 1 23:06:59 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 20:53 -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> My CD-ROM drive rips CDs really, really slowly. Right now
> I'm in the middle of ripping, and grip is giving me rip
> speeds of 3.0x. /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info gives the info
> below, which tells me that I should be able to get 24x. The
> machine itself is quite new: it's a ThinkPad R51 with a
> 1.5-gig Pentium M and half a gig of RAM. It should be
> tearing through CDs. Yet it's not. Any idea how to figure
> out what the culprit is?
>
> CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.20 2003/12/17
>
> drive name:		hdc
> drive speed:		24
> drive # of slots:	1
> Can close tray:		1
> Can open tray:		1
> Can lock tray:		1
> Can change speed:	1
> Can select disk:	0
> Can read multisession:	1
> Can read MCN:		1
> Reports media changed:	1
> Can play audio:		1
> Can write CD-R:		1
> Can write CD-RW:	1
> Can read DVD:		1
> Can write DVD-R:	0
> Can write DVD-RAM:	0
> Can read MRW:		1
> Can write MRW:		1
> Can write RAM:		1
>

> --
> Stephen R. Laniel
> steve at laniels.org
> +(617) 308-5571
> http://laniels.org/

Hi Stephen (and to the others whom replayed to you).

I don't think there's a problem here.  Ripping Audio-CD depend on a lot
of factors, one of them of course is the speed of CD-ROM drive but it's
not the only thing! To name some:
      * The brand of your CD-ROM drive have a lot to do with this.  I
        found (from my personal experience) that some brands are *much*
        better than other.  For example Plextor and Yamaha are two of
        the best brands out there, Teac is okay, while BenQ, Acer, and
        Sony (my current one) are not that good (remember, this is *my
        own* experience!).
      * The condition of CD itself is another factor that *greatly*
        affects the ripping speed. Clean, not scratched, and commercial
        (silver) CDs are much better than the others.

The only way to see if your system have a problem or not is to try and
rip the *same* CD on another system (Mac or Windows) and preferably with
the same CD-ROM drive as yours and compare the time of the two ripping
process.

(I ripped some CDs myself, and I found some (silver/commercial) to take
far less time than some others (created myself a long time ago!).  Your
mileage may vary!)

Ziyad.