Problem installing Hoary on AMD64 Asus K8S-MX

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 31 21:45:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 11:19:39PM +0200, Anders Wallenquist wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >The nForce chipsets are well supported.  I have no experience with either
> >of the ones you mention.
> >
> I believe the lack of buying guides for supported hardware for a specific
> kernel/distribution are a huge problem. In the perspective that the
> strategy of choosing drivers to bundle with a certain kernel (especialy on
> the install media) also gives us what boxes that are supported. When
> designing the AMD64-K8-kernel the chipsets that are developed for that
> processor are very limited and it whould be logical that check a few of
> these product-lines with the choosen drivers. As long as that home-work
> are done (and documented) we also have the basics for a buying guide.
> Maybe this information exists, but few knows where to find and how to
> read.

Perhaps this is something that you can help us with.  Many users have
contributed their experiences in the wiki, here:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HardwareSupport

This information could be collected into a buying guide of sorts.

> So if the AMD64-K8 are built for nForce-based motherboards its very
> useful information

Our amd64 kernels are not built for specific chipsets; they support any
chipsets that the Linux kernel developers have written support for.

nForce happens to be what I use for testing, so I can tell you my personal
experience with it.

--
 - mdz