RPC time out

Robbo ml at the-view.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 22:22:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 22:51 +0100, piltdown wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:08:04 +0100, Robbo wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 11:02 +0100, piltdown wrote:
> >> When attempting to mount a shared directory on a server (running Fedora
> >> Core 1) it times out with "RPC: Timed out". If I mount it manually it will
> >> connect - after about a 10 second wait.
>
> > Is portmap running?
>
> Yes portmap is running on the client. However, if I stop portmap by
> issuing: /etc/init.d/portmap stop
>
> The following message appears:
>
> /etc/default/portmap: line 2: -i 127.0.0.1: command not found
>  * Stopping portmap daemon...                                            [ ok ]

I don't have a /etc/default/portmap, the /etc/init.d/portmap script
checks for this file existance, and then runs it.  Looks like it could
be safely removed (or renamed).

looking at the manual for portmap...

     -i address
             bind portmap to address. If you specify 127.0.0.1 it will
bind to
             the loopback interface only.

So it looks like /etc/default/portmap may be used to specify which
network cards to use.

Suggestion...

pkill portmap           # To kill running portmap if started
ps -ef | grep portmap   # To check if killed
/sbin/portmap &         # To start portmapper without using the scripts
mount server:/blah /mnt # To check if okay - change to suit ofcourse.

If that works, my guess removing /etc/default/portmap will solve your
issue.