RPC time out

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 30 01:03:54 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 23:22 +0100, Robbo wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 22:51 +0100, piltdown wrote:

> > > Is portmap running?
> >
> > Yes portmap is running on the client. However, if I stop portmap by
> > issuing: /etc/init.d/portmap stop
> >
> > The following message appears:
> >
> > /etc/default/portmap: line 2: -i 127.0.0.1: command not found
> >  * Stopping portmap daemon...                                            [ ok ]
>
> I don't have a /etc/default/portmap, the /etc/init.d/portmap script
> checks for this file existance, and then runs it.  Looks like it could
> be safely removed (or renamed).
>
> looking at the manual for portmap...
>
>      -i address
>              bind portmap to address. If you specify 127.0.0.1 it will
> bind to
>              the loopback interface only.
>

> So it looks like /etc/default/portmap may be used to specify which
> network cards to use.
>

> Suggestion...
>
> pkill portmap           # To kill running portmap if started
> ps -ef | grep portmap   # To check if killed
> /sbin/portmap &         # To start portmapper without using the scripts
> mount server:/blah /mnt # To check if okay - change to suit ofcourse.
>
> If that works, my guess removing /etc/default/portmap will solve your
> issue.

My /etc/default/portmap now reads

# By default, listen only on the loopback interface
# ARGS="-i 127.0.0.1

This "gotcha" drove me nuts trying to set up NFS as well, until I found
it. The ARGS="-i 127.0.0.1 line was uncommented by default, for some
reason. Commenting it as above solved the issue for me. This struck me
at the time as an insane default, and still does... maybe someone can
explain it...