[hoary] emacs conflicts with input methods based on XIM

Shixin Zeng shixinzeng at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 09:10:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:29:31 -0900, Martin Lüthi <luthi at gi.alaska.edu> wrote:
> Hi Shixin

Hi Martin

> Disclaimer: I have no experience with Chinese characters. However here is some
> advice:
>
> Ctrl+Space is the standard way to start a selection in Emacs, so this is
> definitevely NOT a bug. Where do you want to change the binding of Ctrl+Space?
> If this is for emacs only, you can do it in the .emacs file with something
> like

I know Ctrl+Space is the standard way to set mark, but this is only
true when it was built without XIM support. When XIM support was
enabled, the key combination "Ctrl+Space" should be snapped by XIM
input methods, not emacs itself, as it did on warty.

> (global-set-key [C-SPC]  'my-chinese-input-function)

This is useless, because my chinese input method was an external
program, rather than an internal function in emacs.
I've tried to unset [C-SPC]. then it told me C-SPC is not defined,
instead of starting the external input method.

> where you replace "my-chinese-input-function" with the function accepting the
> input.
>
> If you are doing the input translation everywhere, you should look for the
> X Window Manager key bindings.

I think this is not relative to X Windows Manager key bindings, for my
Chinese input methods work very well anywhere else, even at "emacs
-nw" as I said in the last mail.

> Hope this helps

Thanks anyway

--