Hoary: UTF-8 conversion. I think I experience minor problems

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon Mar 28 19:55:11 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 09:14 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> This is not the correct procedure to migrate to UTF-8; the problems
> you
> experienced were the result of these actions.

I forgot to add that I have of course edited /etc/locale.gen and ran
locale-gen.  Sorry.
I also tried to use dpkg-reconfigure locales, with the same result.

Anyway, is the correct procedure documented somewhere? I found nothing
in the several articles on moving from Sid to Hoary or Warty to Hoary
that are available in the wiki (except for the info to change mounted
windows partitions to nls=utf8).
The Hoary release notes (in yelp) mention that "Hoary uses UTF-8" and
"includes conversion utilities", but does not specify further actions
for the user. And the chapter on moving from Warty to Hoary didn't say
anything about UTF-8 either.

Would be great to have that documented when Hoary releases.