Ubuntu Mini-RAM HOWTO

mdmcginn ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Mar 27 12:32:56 UTC 2005

wayover13 Wrote:
> Just trying to make sure we're on the same page here. We're talking
> about a minimal Ubuntu install for older, low-resource systems, right?

Ah, but as someone else pointed out, the Mini-RAM How To was probably
misnamed, since it lists the space, not the RAM, required to run
various packages. RAM is one thing, hard disk space is another. I'm
working with a Compaq laptop with only 64MB of RAM but 4 GB of disk
space. Plenty of room to install packages but not much room to run
them. So I'm interested in how to use parts of GNOME to enhance icewm
or xfce, and how to minimize RAM usage. I'm also interested in how to
switch from one window manager to another.

--
mdmcginn