[Hoary] Today's upgrade of dhcp3-client to 3.0.1-1ubuntu2 broke dhcp; easy fix; am I the only one?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sat Mar 26 11:46:18 UTC 2005

After the upgrade, I could not connect anymore; I have a nonstandard
network config (using ifplugd) but I would guess all dhcp users could be
effected.

When I ran "sudo ifdown eth0; sudo ifup eth0", I got a very helpful
error message telling me the problem:

sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf line 21: expecting semicolon.
        netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope interface-mtu;
                                            ^

Adding a comma between netbios-scope and interface-mtu fixed it. (I used
a comma, contrary to the error message that says "semicolon", since all
the other entries on this line are already separated with commas -
probably an error in the error message :)