Virus Issue 2

Matthew S-H mathbymath at aol.com
Fri Mar 25 21:35:09 UTC 2005

You're starting to sound like you've been reading up too much on
Ontological Security, hehe.  Almost like a 1984 type of thing...  Just
kidding.
Not running as root doesn't prevent all attacks.  If someone has the
time to test out all possible passwords, they can do just about
anything.  However, that can take a long time (especially if the system
provides a 3-4 second delay after the third consecutive attempt to log
in).
However, not running as root provides a lot more security.  True, this
is relative, but its better than nothing.  If you get a simple virus
script (like something that just recursively deletes directories), it
will probably not run properly if its not run as root.  *nix is rather
secure in this respect.  However, if you're running as root, a simple
script can do ANYTHING it wants.  Also, people who are new to linux are
more likely to "mess things up" if running as root.  After all, the
good ol' "rm -R /" will do wonders to mess up your system.  If you
don't use root, the only thing you can do simply (provided you don't
use sudo/su/gksudo/gksu to gain root privs) is delete your own files.
This can greatly affect you and your home directory (especially if you
don't have backups).

Just my $0.02.

~Matt