Soundcard problems

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Fri Mar 25 15:44:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 10:20:43AM +0000, Glenn Pierce wrote:
> Hi I have a SiS SI7012 (Chip: C-Media Electronics CMI9761) soundcard
> built into into my motherboard.
>
> I am running Ubuntu Hoary.
> All the necessary alsa modules load correctly. However, I can hear no
> sound from any player that I use.

The CMI9761 AC97 was, until recently, given only experimental support in
ALSA.  The versions of ALSA available in Hoary (1.0.6 in-kernel and
1.0.8 in universe via 'alsa-source') do not properly support it.  The
good news, however, is that problems with the CMI9761 AC97 have been
fixed upstream (I have walked one Ubuntu user through installing
1.0.9rc1 and have confirmed that it does indeed work).

I will ask for alsa-source 1.0.8+1.0.9rc2-1 to be synced into universe
from Debian experimental.  Thank you for reminding me.

Thanks,
Daniel Chen

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc