Thunderbird/Warty bugs

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Fri Mar 25 14:41:53 UTC 2005

This is a production machine and I am sticking with Warty until the
Hoary bugs are substantially worked out.

I have been using Thunderbird 0.8 which is the version in the Warty
repositories.  It has some bugs which have been becoming increasingly
annoying.  Specifically, the .msf mail folder indexes become regularly
corrupted with problems such as multiple entries for single pieces of
mail and the inability to download POP mail into a folder corrupted this
way.  The solution is simple, exit T-bird, delete the affected msf file,
and restart T-bird.  Other annoyances include Ctrl-u not working to
delete the contents of an address or subject field as in usual in *nix,
and Ctrl+a not working as documented to select a thread.

I understand that the first (most serious) and third problems are
corrected in later releases of T-bird (the disabling or Ctrl+u seems to
be in a lot of the Ubuntu apps though it always worked with other
distros; is there a way to restore this?), and want to upgrade.  apt-get
wont do the upgrade though I have added Hoary, Debian and Universe
repositories to my sources.list.  What do I need to do to enable this?
(Ubuntu is my first apt-based distro)

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c