totem on ubuntu 5.04 to play Finding Nemo mpeg2 DVD

tom scott telecomtom at vedatel.com
Thu Mar 24 10:34:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 00:08, Ben Novack wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:54:14 -0500, tom scott <telecomtom at vedatel.com> wrote:
[snip]
> > The first few times I tried to use Totem I got some kind of message that
> > said I should run this script:
> > /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh
> > So I did. At least now I seem to get further but I still can't play the DVD.
> >
> > I'm interested in mpeg2 because I'm trying to play some DVD movies while
> > I walk on a treadmill, sort of like having fun while staying healthy.
> > The movie I'm trying is Finding Nemo. Here's the messages that show up
> > in the terminal window when I try to get it to run the DVD when I select
> > Movie -> Play Disc:
> >
> > ========= begin displayed output ==========
> > libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.5 for DVD access
> >
> > libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
> > libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient
> >
> > libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x000014c7
> > libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> > libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x00001537
> > libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> > libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x0003e6c0
> > libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> > libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_0.VOB at 0x00219494
> > libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> > libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x002194cd
> > libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> > libdvdread: Found 2 VTS's
> > libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> > 1 : English, Dolby AC-3 5.1
> > 2 : English, Dolby AC-3 Stereo
> > 1 : English, Dolby AC-3 5.1
> > 2 : English, Dolby AC-3 Stereo
> > ** Message: don't know how to handle video/mpeg, mpegversion=(int)2,
> > systemstream=(boolean)false
> > ** Message: don't know how to handle audio/x-ac3
> > ** Message: don't know how to handle audio/x-ac3
> > ** Message: don't know how to handle video/x-dvd-subpicture
> > ** Message: don't know how to handle video/x-dvd-subpicture
> > ** Message: don't know how to handle video/x-dvd-subpicture
> > ========= end displayed output ==========

[snip]
> Have you installed any packages from unofficial repositories? For
> legal reasons, Ubuntu doens't come with the ability to play commercial
> DVDs, and it can't be made to do so with just
> main-universe-multiverse. Technically, there's absolutely no legal way
> to play a commercial DVD under Linux if you live in the United States.
> The Restricted-Formats entry in the wiki has a very good walkthrough
> on how to make your system DVD-capable, though. It requires installing
> libdvdcss.
[snip]

Since I like to think of my humble self as a law-abiding kinda guy, and I don't want anyone to haul my sorry backend into court as a result of my innocent (maybe naive is a better word) postings to this list, I think I just might hafta post a Mea Culpa or two or five plus an apology plus anything else that's going to cover my a**.

1. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa (striking chest). In other words, my bad.

2. i"m REALLY sorry I ran that script.

3. I hereby notify the world that I'm doing my best to deinstall the tar.gz thingie that I think got installed or at least not to use it.

4. The thing didn't work anyways, so I couldn't play the DVD and therefore what'd I do that could injure anyone's precious IP rights etc? Nothing that I know of. No harm no foul.

Geez if i'd known it was going to get this complicated i never would have opened Totemm in the first place. Maybe sometime someone will make something that humble users like me in the US can use on linux to play dvds. For now I'm just gonna have to walk on that treadmill and be bored cuz I'm sure not going to reinstall Windows on my laptop.

-- TT