totem on ubuntu 5.04 to play Finding Nemo mpeg2 DVD

Ben Novack bennovack at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 05:08:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:54:14 -0500, tom scott <telecomtom at vedatel.com> wrote:
> hello greetings ubuntu totem users:
>
> I'd like to use the totem video player that comes with ubuntu 5.04 and
> which I updated this very day (2005-03-23). According to the Synaptic
> pkg mgr i have the totem and totem-gstreamer packages installed and they
> are 1.0-0ubuntu2. The Help window, About Totem, indicates that it is
> "Movie Player using GStreamer version 0.8.9" but I guess that's only
> because they didn't have time to update the message in that window when
> they updated to 1.0-0ubuntu2? Also, when I type "totem --version" this
> is what it displays: Gnome totem 1.0
>
> When I type "totem --help" I see that there are possible plugins and a
> plugin path. I was wondering if someone can tell me how I can find which
> plugins are installed? In particular how can I tell if I've got mpeg2?
>
> The first few times I tried to use Totem I got some kind of message that
> said I should run this script:
> /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh
> So I did. At least now I seem to get further but I still can't play the DVD.
>
> I'm interested in mpeg2 because I'm trying to play some DVD movies while
> I walk on a treadmill, sort of like having fun while staying healthy.
> The movie I'm trying is Finding Nemo. Here's the messages that show up
> in the terminal window when I try to get it to run the DVD when I select
> Movie -> Play Disc:
>
> ========= begin displayed output ==========
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.5 for DVD access
>
> libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
> libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient
>
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x000014c7
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x00001537
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x0003e6c0
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_0.VOB at 0x00219494
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x002194cd
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Found 2 VTS's
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> 1 : English, Dolby AC-3 5.1
> 2 : English, Dolby AC-3 Stereo
> 1 : English, Dolby AC-3 5.1
> 2 : English, Dolby AC-3 Stereo
> ** Message: don't know how to handle video/mpeg, mpegversion=(int)2,
> systemstream=(boolean)false
> ** Message: don't know how to handle audio/x-ac3
> ** Message: don't know how to handle audio/x-ac3
> ** Message: don't know how to handle video/x-dvd-subpicture
> ** Message: don't know how to handle video/x-dvd-subpicture
> ** Message: don't know how to handle video/x-dvd-subpicture
> ========= end displayed output ==========
>
> I'm assuming that when it says mpegversion=(int)2 it means mpeg2. Is
> that right?
>
> anyways, can someone tell me if I can get this to work? I looked at the
> ubuntuforums.org/archive but have not found the answer.

> [...]

Have you installed any packages from unofficial repositories? For
legal reasons, Ubuntu doens't come with the ability to play commercial
DVDs, and it can't be made to do so with just
main-universe-multiverse. Technically, there's absolutely no legal way
to play a commercial DVD under Linux if you live in the United States.
The Restricted-Formats entry in the wiki has a very good walkthrough
on how to make your system DVD-capable, though. It requires installing
libdvdcss.

---BHN