Upgrade to Hoary / Linux Kernel 2.6.10

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 18:19:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:15:27 +0300, Mamuka Khantadze
<mamuka at healthywomen.ge> wrote:
> Here is my story: I've updated to Hoary from, Warty (Got install CDs form
> free CD Distribution System). Somehow my icons on Application menu
> disappeared and only folders are seen. On the other hand, I believed that
> hoary included Gnome 2.10 (the reason why I upgraded). Seems to me I was
> wrong.

Try

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Maybe that ubuntu-desktop didn't get installed correctly.

> than 386. However, to my disappointment, I can no longer log in to GNOME.

Um, I'm confused. How do you know about the disappearing icons in the
Application menu if you can't log into gnome, or for that matter
whether this is 2.10 or not? I must have missed something.

> I've run xfreeconfig (or
> xfconfigure), which has asked me tons of questions that I am not able to
> answer correctly (all the vertical syncs, mouse ports etc.). Why hasn't

try

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

It has a more sensible subset of those questions.

-Eamonn