Hoary: Random shutdowns
steven at poiema.org
Tue Mar 22 17:28:44 UTC 2005
Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 11:32:34PM -0800, Steven Boothe wrote:
>>Hello the list:
>>I just installed "Kubuntu 5.04 "Hoary Hedgehog" Preview i386 Binary-1 last
>>night and installed it on an HP Pavilion zd7140 widescreen laptop.
>>Everything when fairly smoothly until it came time to login. Typically
>>within 20 seconds to two minutes from the time I get to the login screen
>>the system will shutdown just suddenly power completely off.
>>I have tried setting acpi=off at boot time and this offers zero help.
> This commonly indicates a faulty power supply. Does it happen when you
> run on battery, or on AC, or both?
1. So far I've only tested this while plugged in.
2. This is a fairly new (6 months) laptop.
3. I have had no previous problems with it while dual-booted to:
- WinXP Home Ed / Yoper Linux
- WinXP Home Ed / Simply Mepis
- WinXP Home Ed / Pro Mepis
- WinXP Home Ed / Gentoo
4. I am of the confident opinion that if I cannot get this issue resolved
that I can return to any one of those flavors of Linux and fix the problem
that way. My interest is in testing distro's for which I can recommend to my
family and friends who currently haven't tried Linux yet. For instance my mom
in her 70's is now an active Mepis subscriber, my brother's friend is quite
happy with it, etc.
Thanks to any who even took the time to read this far,
More information about the ubuntu-users