Installation report for Acer TravelMate 8100

Gary Coady gary at lyranthe.org
Tue Mar 22 13:24:09 UTC 2005

ford42 wrote:
> Vincent,
> Can you post your XF86Config-4 file for me and some advice.  I
> cannot get the ATI drivers to work.  I tried installing the RPM with
> alien.  I also followed a websites directions for compiling the ATI
> driver (latest) into debian.  I made a debian package, installed that,
> but again, didn't work.  At the end of my X11 log, the failure lists
> all of the supported cards (doesn't list ATI Mobility Radeon X700, but
> lists several other X700 cards).  After that:
>
> "(II) Primary Device is:  PCI"
> "(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device"
> "(EE) No devices detected"
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

As mentioned earlier in the thread, you need to have
Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,AUTO"
in the fglrx device section.

In addition, the chip ID is not recognised by that version of Xorg. But
it can 'fake' another recognised chip ID. I don't remember the exact
chip I tried. It would have been one of the chips listed at
http://cvs.freedesktop.org/*checkout*/xorg/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati/radeon_chipset.h?rev=1.3&content-type=text%2Fplain

Which one? 0x5B62 rings a bell. If it's not that, try one of the other
ones (0x3E50 looks like a possibility).

This would be added to the fglrx device section with
ChipID "0x5B62"

Gary.