crash question

R Kimber rkimber at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 21 20:48:16 UTC 2005

If my machine locks up, with no reponse from the keyboard, but the
mouse can still be moved around the screen freely, which bit of the
system has likely caused the problem? (Or, alternatively, which bit are
still working?)

I've run memtest and smartmontools in the past without a suggestion of
a hardware problem, and temperatures seem OK.

Basically it happened when I was changing from a workspace back to one
with a browser window open that had Taiwanese characters on it.

I have dual opteron, 2.6.8.1-5-amd64-k8-smp, Warty

This is the first time anything like this has happened with Unbuntu,
though the reason why I escaped from Suse 9.2 was that I was getting
frequent lockups of this kind (but mouse also locked) when browsing.
I've never had any such lockup that didn't involve a browser.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/