trying to install 4.10 ("warty-warthog") on a "Titanium" powerbook

John Levin john at technolalia.org
Mon Mar 21 01:36:12 UTC 2005

On 21 Mar 2005, at 01:18, Larry Grover wrote:

> Eric Dunbar wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:10:14 -0600, chris <cja1 at datasync.com> wrote:
>>> How do I get that done with disk utility (I have version 10.4.2).
>>> The
>>> app is called disk utility and comes with Mac OS.  I've tried several
>>> ways and it ain't happening.
>>>
>>> I've tried two third party apps: Burnz and Dragon Burn without
>>> success.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>        Chris
>>>
>>> PS: if there's any any third party apps that do this that cost $5 or
>>> less or if they have a free trial, let me know.  I've spent a lot on
>>> hardware recently and I can't afford any other expenatures beyond
>>> minute.
>> Hi Chris, you'll want to use Disk Utility (or whatever it's called) to
>> burn the ISO. AFAIK it should work but the posting here saying that it
>> won't work may be correct (I use Toast to do my burning).
>

> I've never been able to burn an ubuntu iso to CD with OS X's Disk
> Utility.  I use cdrecord, as others have mentioned.  If you don't mind
> using the commmand line, it works great.

Just to clarify this thread, the Mac OS X disc utility has a bug that
makes it quit whenever you try to burn an ubuntu ppc iso, whether live
cd or install cd. It does burn non-ppc (ie x86) isos though.

I did once burn an iso using discblaze, so it is possible. It's
shareware, but the first 4 burns are free. Make sure you burn a
bootable disc image, and not some other format.

HTH

john