Newbie Install Question - LiveCD fails

Philippe Landau lists at mailry.net
Sun Mar 20 05:41:48 UTC 2005

Tab Gilbert wrote:
> So wget did what it was suppose to do.  Burned the cd at 1x from a
> different box of disks than the other dozen or burns.  Gets to Casper
> -udev, I think that is the name, and fails.
exactly what version of ubuntu did you download ?

> I have wasted more bandwidth than a Phish download site (sorry)
 > grabbing images.
well as long as you only grab the images :-)

>  It
> appears that Firefox saving the bin file as text was not the problem.
> On the Install CD I can go all the way to partition but if the Live CD
> will not work it does not seem reasonable to go any further.  The
> drive will start Knoppix.
linux is still very much experimental in my opinion.
i downloaded about 50 distributions,
installed most of the ones i could,
and still daily fight for basic functionality.
of course it MacOS X is in a similar position plus a prison
and windows is alcatraz on mars, so i have plenty of motivation :-)

> The checksum is still beyond me but that would only tell me I am
> having a problem which I find out every time I download an image and
> burn a disk (would it not?).  Looked at the help section during boot
> but did not see any applicable approach.
>
> It seemed like a simple problem which has now taken a week.  Download
> an image and make a disc.
>
> Gonna try the Kubuntu distribution download to see if it works  but
> any suggestions would be appreciated.
trying other distributions is the most popular solution, yes.

what hardware do you have ?
what operating system do you currently use ?

kind regards     philippe