Hoary on ibook G4 1Ghz

Michael Hunt michael at aussie.oddsocks.net
Fri Mar 18 16:18:35 UTC 2005

Hiya all,

I'm just trying to track down solutions for 4 problems that I am having
with my ibook G4 and ubuntu. 3 are needs and 1 is a wish. All 4 appear
to have solutions I'm just having trouble finding them and I would like
to find out from others with more PPC experience than me for advice.
Hopefully I'll get some pointers here that will lead to solutions and I
will be able to put up some doco on how to solve these for future users.

Anyhow here goes (please help me with what you can) :-

1. Suspend. Big need due to the fact that I am constantly on the road
with my ibook. This is such a fantastic feature under OS X that I can't
really live with out it. At the moment I get a kernel panic and the
machine has to be rebooted. I'm not sure why it is not working so I'd
thought I'd ask here. The only thing unusual about this ibook is that it
comes with Apple's on-board bluetooth adaptor. Not sure if that is an
issue but include it for further information sake.

2. Ubuntu USB wireless and linux-wlan. I'm not entirely sure of the
'ubuntu way' of setting up a usb (prisim_2 based D-Link DWL-122)
wireless adapter. I use WEP and a script to set it up but I seem to have
all sorts of problems getting it working reliably. Can anyone point me
to some further information on how to set this up?

3. Dual head support. I have plugged in another monitor and it seems
that there is some support for dual head but I'm not sure where to
start. I gather some changes need to be made to my X config but not sure
what exactly. Can you configure mirroring and second display in X and is
there an easy way to switch between the two?

4. Modem support. I think I need to purchase and compile the linuxant
drivers for the modem but not entirely sure which ones. Can anyone give
me some further advice on this.

Thanks for any help people are able to give and particularly the
developers who make ubuntu such a great distro.

Michael Hunt