No sound when playing .wmv files

Karl kaha at colug.org
Tue Mar 15 17:28:57 UTC 2005

The .wmv files that I'm having problems with have been on my hard drives
for over a year, and they played fine on my Gentoo box (I used Xine and
w32codecs). When I switched to Ubuntu, I'd backed them up to CD. Now, I
have the problem with the lack of audio.
I don't see how the change of distro could be the issue, as I'm using
the same software. This is what perplexes me.