Firewire HD mount

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 17:57:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:44:52 +0100, Egon Bianchet
<egon.bianchet at gmail.com> wrote:
> (Sorry, already sent this from the wrong address.)
>
> I have an external firewire hard disk.
>
> If I turn it on before booting in ubuntu, it's mounted
> in /media/ieee1394disk and properly shown under the Computer location in
> GNOME.
>
> If I turn it on after booting it's mounted in /media/scsidisk; menus and
> computer location are not updated, and it seems to work at a slower
> speed.
>
> Anyone with the same problem?
>
> --
> Egon Bianchet

I have seen this as well.  One solution I believe is to give the
filesystem on the disk a label, if you are using an ext files system
you can use e2label.  Once the disk has a label, the mount point will
be /media/label no matter how or when it is plugged in.  This works
for me with a USB external hard drive.  I haven't spent the time to
put labels on some of my others since' I've been away, and haven't had
them around.