Warty : reinstalling, quick question...

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Sun Mar 13 08:52:47 UTC 2005

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Currently I have installed Warty with a separate /home partition.
> I would like to reinstall Warty without it losing the data of my /home
> partition. Is this possible ?
> I seem to remember that the partitioner has a few options, including "do
> not format" and "do not use", I think.
> How should I proceed to to reinstall Warty and tell it to reuse the
> existing /home partition and KEEP my existing data ?
> Should I mark the partition as "DO use" but "do NOT format" ?
> I think I have already managed to achieve this, so I know it's possible,
> but it's so dusty in my memory that I would like to be 100% certain what
> to do, as I would rather like to get it right first time, and not lose
> my data.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vince, about to re-install his little Warty this morning...

I sure that you can reuse your existing home partition and keep all the
data you have in it.  I can't remember the exact way you do this in
Ubuntu, but most distributions have you select what partition you want
as root and where you want to mount all the other partitions.  Note that
this step comes after the disk has been partitioned, so if you are not
going to change the size of any partition, you don't have to run the
partition tool.

Select the partition you use as /home and select the 'do not format' option.

It's a good idea to print (or write down) all the mount points you're
using in the current install.  IE: /dev/hda1 on root, /dev/hda2 on /usr,
etc.

HTH,
Ed
--
Ed Fletcher
ed at fletcher.ca

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?  -  Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)