need copy of nvidia 6111 patched driver

David M. Carney carney1979 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 14:28:40 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 10:33 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> > Try installing linux-headers-2.6.10-4-386.
>
> Thanks Daniel, that worked :-) Well, the installer was successful, but
> then X won't start, so had to unsintall the driver :-/
>
> I attached the Xorg.O.log.old which shows tons of stuff, hopefully some
> of it gives a clue ?
>
> Regards,
>

> --
> Vince

Let's make sure your doing everything right:

1. Exit x session
2. Stop x session with:

  /etc/init.d/gdm stop

3. Start NVIDIA run file & build module
4. Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (or xfree.conf) file:

  In the modules section:

    Comment out (#) GLcore and dri.
    Add (if necessary) glx

  In the video card section:

    Change nv to nvidia

5. Make sure any old nvidia modules are removed with:

  rmmod nvidia

6. Add you spanking new nvidia module:

  modprobe nvidia

7. Add nvidia to /etc/modules so it will be loaded each time you boot.

8. restart x with:

  /etc/init.d/gdm start

It should go.

Did you get my post announcing there is a new nvidia module release?
Unlike the 6229 release, this one works with my GeForce MX4000 card. It
has a higher frame rate than the 6111 module by about 200 fps. glxgears
runs at about 1310 fps with my 128 meg card and the new driver.

I think nvidia paid a LOT of attention with this card to make sure no
bugs existed for us users running "lesser" video hardware.

Best of luck!

David

--
Registered Linux User #297958