[Hoary] Evolution is very unstable -- crashes often.

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 12:20:15 UTC 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 07:46:29 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez
<vincent.trouilliez at modulonet> wrote:
> > I hate to say it, but the instability in Evolution began happening right
> > around the time that Novell bought Ximian.  What's up with that, I
> > wonder?
>
> I have only started to use Evolution with Warty, 5 month ago then, so
> can't compare witrh pre-Novell times, but Evolution sure is defintely
> the worse program that I have to deal with in my everyday use of
> Gnome/Ubuntu.  It always find a good reason to crahs, hang, or be
> slow/sluggish, not to mention the bugs. But I still like it, so I keep
> hoping that one days, it will load fast, execute fast/be very
> responsive, be stable, no hang etc. I had a look at Gnome's plans for
> 2.12, and they seem well aware of Evolutions problems and plan to work
> on it, particularly on responsivness and memory usage, which is a good
> start I think. But, it all happens so slowly, it will probably take 3
> year before it's really as good as it should.

I'm tempted to start filing bug reports/feature suggestions for
Evolution soon. I like the app but it's just not good enough to be
using only it all the time. The missing feature I found yesterday was
the inability to mark a message "Unread" using the contextual menu
(right-click for all you Windowsers). I'd also like to be able to
modify the toolbar somewhat -- IE's been doing it since version 3.5
(or was that 4.0?) on the Mac... (of course, I haven't used IE on the
Mac for actual web browsing in over three years (only for the most
poorly and anti-web standards coded web sites do I ever have to fire
up IE).

Even if I could choose small icons or text-only I'd be happy. Also,
sorting into groups would be nice. The most recent Entourage (for OS
X) came out with a nice "group-by" display paradigm. It groups e-mails
into day for the past week and weeks for the past month. It'll also do
"small", "medium" and "large" for e-mail size.