Mount FAT32-formatted drive under a normal user mode

Soo-Hyun Choi shchoi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 12:16:46 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu and WindowsXP at a same machine with GRUB. I tried to
mount one of WindowsXP drives from Ubuntu under a normal user account
(not root account).

The drive map is:
/dev/hda1 (for WindowsXP C drive)
/dev/hda2 (for Ubuntu ext3-formatted)
/dev/hda5 (for WindowsXP D drive - FAT32)
/dev/hda6 (for Ubuntu swap)

What I would like to do is to mount /dev/hda5 into /mnt/WinXP of Ubuntu.

$>mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/WinXP
Then, I got an error that the normal user cannot mount those drive.
So, I had to use 'sudo'.

$>sudo mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/WinXP
Then, it works.

The problem here is the normal user cannot change directory to
/mnt/WinXP. Is there anyone who could give me a piece of advice on
this?

Thank you.
Soo-Hyun