change of icon's - 2nd

Seth M. sepheebear at spymac.com
Thu Mar 10 15:01:11 UTC 2005

I prefer to change icons using icon themes rather than messing with any
default settings that way I know I can always revert any changes quickly
and without having to backtrack. Take a look at the line that says
"Icon=" inside of any of the *.desktop files under
'/usr/share/applications/' to see which picture filename is specified
for each application's icon.

Most of the icons are implied. Others are specified using the full path,
so those wont get changed without actually modifying the *.desktop file.
For example, the "Search For Files..." icon for the latest GNOME in
Hoary is specified in the file:
'/usr/share/applications/gnome-search-tool.desktop' in there is a line
that says "Icon=gnome-searchtool". Since I found this name implied, I
know that I need to name the replacement icon "gnome-searchtool". The
name of the icon for the "Run Application" is called "gnome-run".

But where do I put them once I know which name to use? If using an icon
theme, generally put it under:
	/home/$USER/.icons/$ICONTHEME/$SIZE/apps/
In my case, Im using a modified set of the d3a icons, so I stick the
replacement for the "Search" icon here:
	/home/$USER/.icons/d3a-icons-mod/128x128/gnome-searchtool.png
Works the same way for svg icons:
	/home/$USER/.icons/Suede-mod/scalable/gnome-searchtool.svg

I havent found an official resource for what the official icon names
should be (since I have yet to look for one!), so I figured most of this
from looking at which icon theme changed which icon, from looking at
the .desktop files under '/usr/share/applications/', and ultimately from
simply mimicking the names and paths of the icons in the hicolor theme.
I think hicolor is the "official" theme anyway. This will likely work
until the GNOME Masters change it. But YMMV.

Hope that holds ya til the wiki page comes.
Seth