On-board sound versus dedicated/standalone sound card ???

Larry Grover lgrover at zoominternet.net
Tue Mar 8 14:22:57 UTC 2005

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

> Huuu, I am glad I opened my mouth !!! Yes, indeed we have different
> speakers ! I am just using the crap speakers built into my monitor, and
> my friend uses his hi-fi system, good old Yamaha amplifier and
> loudspeakers to match....

-snip-

> Problem is, I could get an old SBLive for 3 Euros on Ebay, whereas
> loudspearks are delicate things, need to be bought new, and cost
> fortune ! LAst year I tried to build a hi-fi system. I hunted Ebay for a
> Yam AX-590, and matching tuner and CD-player, but had to sell it soon
> after, when I realised I could not afford to pay for the loudspeakers
> good enough to go with it !!

The speakers built into monitors generally are quite poor.  If that's
what you're using, then you should be able to improve your sound
without going all the way to hi-fi loudspeakers.

A decent set of computer speakers will probably sound better, and be
lots cheaper than a good hi-fi system.  But unfortunately, not as
cheap as a decent, used soundcard.  A decent set of headphones -- if
you don't mind the wires -- should also give you good sound.

Regards,
Larry