On-board sound versus dedicated/standalone sound card ???

Larry Grover lgrover at zoominternet.net
Tue Mar 8 02:42:52 UTC 2005

Michael Rasile wrote:
> Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>
>> Today I went to demonstrate X-Plane v8.06 for Linux on a friends machine
>> (Mandrake 10.1c). I flew my favourite Bell 430 helicopter, and I noticed
>> that the engine and rotor noises were much more realistic on his
>> computer than on mine, crisper and richer ! In particular, the turbines
>> made a more realistic sound, and I could hear the noise change under
>> some flying conditions, like when about to touch down when landing.
>>
>> He has a "Soundblaster live" sound card, and I have only a cheap AC 97
>> compatible sound device, that's embedded into the motherboard 'nForce'
>> chipset.
>>
>> Could it be that my sound system does not allow X-Plane to produce as
>> good a sound as it would like, but can do it on sound blaster live ?
>>
>> I really do'nt think it was a "placebo" effect, because I really wasn't
>> "watching" for sound on his machine, I only wanted to check graphics
>> quality, because he has a better video card than mine. So I really
>> wasn't focused a tall on sound, yet it striked me how much better/richer
>> it sounded !
>>
>> Does anyone experience the same, or has enough tecnical knowledge to
>> confirm (or not) that propert sound cards can produce better sounds than
>> cheap AC 97 codecs ??
>>
>> I am now really thinking of getting a proper sound card !
>>

>> --
>> Vince
>>

> Greetings! I  think that a good sound card will produce better quality
> than an onboard audio. I use onboard audio on my Gigabyte mobo. I too
> wanted to try a sound card. Be very careful which card you choose. the
> SBLive card will work. I use it on another Linux box. A few weeks ago, I
> thought I should upgrade to an audigy card: Well, it worked under
> WindowsXP, but could not get it going under Linux. Check to see what
> sound cards others are using before you buy one. Again, my opinion is
> that you will definitely get better sound quality from a dedicated sound
> card. Hope this helps a little.
>
> Regards,
> Mike

The speakers also have a big effect on sound quality.  Unless you and
your friend both have the same speakers on your two systems, don't
overlook the possiblity that the speakers are making the difference.

It would be a shame to replace the sound card only to find out that
the speakers were the real difference.

Can you temporarily swap speakers with your friend?  Or if you have
headphones, try the same pair on both systems?

Regards,
Larry