PPC Kernel Update HDD LED nerves

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 16:02:48 UTC 2005

> A different perspective:  I don't find this feature irritating.  I
> like it.
>
> One of the first linux distros I tried on my iBook (maybe YDL 3.0?)
> had this feature, and I was quite fond of it.  I've missed it, and I'm
> glad to see it in Ubuntu.  I hope it remains, unless it really is
> damaging to the hardware.

I really hope it's removed within one or two kernel updates -- it's
FAR too irritating to allow for the use of the computer (especially
b/c it seems like there is now constant (every 10 or 20 seconds) disk
activity with a recent update... unless it's something I've never been
aware of before).

I like Ubuntu but I dread the thought of having to constantly
recompile the kernel to get rid of it -- it's bad design! Macs are
classier than i86 machines and this is one of those useless features
where Windows tries to give lots of useless info. It makes more sense
to have it setup as an on-screen little GNOME or KDE widget than one
where the user has no control over it (a la Norton Utilities).

PS I do agree that YMMV but the default undoubtedly should be off! At
one point in my life I would've liked having visual feedback but that
was back in the day when Mac OS was crash prone and it was nice to see
if there was still disk activity when things had frozen. Nowadays the
OS doesn't crash (well, OS X at least... Ubuntu is quite a bit less
stable (well, it's mostly GNOME or X that's unstable... I suspect the
kernel is fine but GNOME/X sometimes like to lock-up the UI and since
I keep SSH disabled on this machine that means a three finger salute
rather than ctrl-alt-backspace...) :-(

Eric.