vncserver and hoary

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 13:09:53 UTC 2005

I'm at my wits end getting this to work. Can someone who is able to
successfully use vncserver on a display other than :0 (i.e.,
hostname:1 or hostname:2) post a copy of your /etc/vnc.conf and
xstartup (if you use one)?

Display 0 (System/Preferences/Remote Desktop) works fine. Starting
vncserver and connecting to a :0+x display does not.  Everything
displays perfectly -- I get my desktop and the menus and I can move
around and launch items with the mouse -- but typing anything results
in garbage characters, like nn7410nsldf instead of what I want to
type. It's the same in every application.

I suspect it's a problem with the kbd driver. I had loads of
keyboard-related problems when I first dist-upgraded from Warty, but
that seems to be sorted now. VNC must be pulling bad keyboard data
from *somewhere,* but I just don't know where. Googling on the only
error-like messages in the vnc log files
("rfbProcessClientNormalMessage: ignoring unknown encoding type")
doesn't turn up anything useful, or at least none that I spotted.

-Eamonn