Noisy CD writer = how to make it go quiet ??

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri Mar 4 03:59:56 UTC 2005

I was recently given an old CD writer, a x12 SCSI Plextor.
Wokrs beautifully despite it's age and a few years of hard work, so I
don't see the point of spending any of my own money to get a brand new
one.

Only "issue" I have with it, is that it's got a tiny fan at the back of
it, which happens to "rattle" a bit, it annoys me, to the point that I
had no choice but unplug the power cable, and must therefore turn my
machine off to replug it, every (rare, thank god) time that I need to
burn something.

I wouldn't mind the noise when it's burning, but the problem is that the
fan spins all the time, even when the tray is open !

I think there are ways/tools to tell SCSI Plextor drives to spins at a
given speed, to reduce noise. I was wondering if maybe there would be a
way to control the fan, and turn it off ? Or at least turn it off when
it's not burning a CD ??

That would be great !

Vince, don't want to sit by his PC with ear plugs...