ATI or Nvidia??

David M. Carney carney1979 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 04:44:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 22:41 -0500, Matt Galvin wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> My first question is, how are you trying to install the nVidia driver?
> >From apt? Or are you trying to build it from source?
>
> As the kernel has been changing, the nVidia drivers in the apt
> repositories *may* need to be rebuilt.
>
> Personally I would try building it from source. This would build it
> against what is really on your box right now. And if that works file a
> bug on the nvidia drivers in apt. I don't have an nVidia card at the
> moment so i can't try it out here :(
>
> If you try building it from source make sure you install all the
> xorg*-dev packages.
>
> Matt

I tried both the Ubuntu drivers and the commercial (Nvidia) driver.

I thought this might be a good idea to try. So I first did a "build-dep"
for nvidia-glx to make sure all the dependencies were in place, then I
downloaded the apt sources and built and installed the MANY debs it
created.

After I got through that, I setup my xorg.conf file and restarted gdm.

Unfortunately, I got the exact same results as I described earlier.

Too bad.

David

--
Registered Linux User #297958