is there anyway to for me to allow another user to login same time as me

Todd Deshane deshantm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 18:32:19 UTC 2005

On 6/30/05, Mustafa Abbasi <lordverminard at gmail.com> wrote:

> i have one computer for the entire family.
> i am continously working either downloading or something else. thing which
> do not recive logginf out well.
> i was wondering if my parents could login without me logging out and my
> procceses stopping.
> you know like in windows xp.
> don't think i am trying to copy windows and bash me please.
> this would essentially solve many probs
> and prevent my parent from destroying the computer by giving them less
> powers.

Ctrl+Alt+F1 startx -- :1

switch between X sessions Ctrl+Alt+F7, Ctrl+Alt+F8

also if you download or whatever is console only try
"screen"

It looks like its built into hoary:
screen
wget http://downloaders.com/bigfile
Ctrl+a d
[detached]
then, later come back and do screen -r
to recover your screen and use your download.

Regards,
Todd