Unusual dependencies on ubuntu-desktop

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 29 11:15:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 04:29:22PM +0530, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > Other way round; ubuntu-desktop depends on lots of other packages. It's
> > just a metapackage to facilitate upgrades; if you don't want to run our
> > entire selected desktop installation, you can remove it.
>
> Are you saying that if I disagree with one of your package choices, I
> have to forgo automatic upgradation of the entire desktop?

Of course not, although it does mean that new packages we've selected as
part of the desktop in new releases won't be automatically installed for
you. Since you've opted to select packages for yourself, this shouldn't
be much of a problem.

> In any case, why does diveintopython have to be a part of the desktop
> install? As I see it, you dont include most of the devel packages by
> default(e.g. gcc). Then why a programming tutorial?

There's lots of Python stuff in Desktop, at Mark's explicit request.

Cheers,