I hate windows but i keep on comming back

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Wed Jun 29 08:09:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 05:37 pm, Steve Torrefranca wrote:
> it isnt fine at all.  dual-boot means paying M$ for a stinky OS.

Can't argue with that! :)

> Would you think Billy Gee cares if you use linux more often than win$
> for as long as you buy his OS everytime you buy a machine?  I am only
> saying this because I plan to buy a laptop but I am forced to ppay extra
> for Win$ Home Ed.

I feel your pain, however there *are* some suppliers that DON'T bundle M$ tax
with every system they sell.  HP can bundle laptops with FreeDOS (instead of
WinXP) and other clone lappy manufacturers offer no OS at all if that's what
you want.  Locally, "Digital Star" (www.digitalstar.com.au) sell PowerNote
laptops (based on Asus designs AFAICT) with the OS being totally optional.
Plus you can spec up/down as you please.  See what I mean here:
http://www.digitalstar.com.au/_PowerNoteComparisonChart.aspx

FWIW, I have no association with Digital Star other than being a friend of a
happy customer who runs Kubuntu on a "PowerNote Z71VP" - lucky bastard!
(http://www.digitalstar.com.au/_PowerNote_Z71VP_SPEC.aspx)

Shop around and support the suppliers who support choice and your right as a
customer to say "no" to MS-tax.

Cheers,

James
--
E.T. GO HOME!!!  (And take your Smurfs with you.)