686 freezes more than 386?

Charles Malespin charles.malespin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 14:56:42 UTC 2005

Hi all, I just switched to the 686 2.6.10-5 kernel because I have 1Gb
ram and I was told to use that kernel for that much ram(right?).  I used
to have freezes pretty often with the 386 kernel, and went through a
bunch of trial and error ways to try and find a solution but couldnt.
Well now with this 686 kernel the freezes seem to be happening more
often and sometimes after just 10 min of booting up, and for no reason.
I am using an ATI X300 video card btw.  Are there some other things I
can try using the 686 kernel that would be helpful for this problem?  Or
does this kernel usually have problems freezing more?  I will try pretty
much anything(I tried the binary drivers for the ATI card and that didnt
work in 386)....
Charles