Owen Marshall omarshall at
Tue Jun 28 13:39:30 UTC 2005

Well, I do not know if this is what you are looking for, but you could set
Ubuntu up with the option of opening files as root from the GUI. A good
discussion of this is at

With that you should be able to do just about anything that you would do as
sudo from the command line without logging in as root. Does that help?