"wifi-radar" wanted

Ante Karamatić ivoks at grad.hr
Tue Jun 28 06:15:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 22:01 -0400, gotmonkey wrote:

> I do have a question about wifi-radar. Here is what I done. I
> de-activated the wireless card (Atheros 5211) in the default network
> applet and wifi-radar finds my AP and connects to it. But until I close
> the program, my wireless connection's signal fluctuates greatly. Also,

Signal strenght isn't related to application. If you have bad signal,
then it's just bad signal. wifi-radar has different way of scaling
strenght level than network applet. wifi-radar has 5 bars, while network
applet counts in %. So, second is better, but that's just graphics.

> when I reboot my system, I don't get a wireless connection until I fire
> up wifi-radar and connect to my AP manually. Is this by default of the
> program?

wifi-radar doesn't do any changes to /etc/network/interfaces, so when
computer is rebooted, your network will not start. I find this as a good
thing.

> Other than that little inconvenience, I still have to try the
> application with mulitple APs and see how it reacts

There's nothing problematic in that situation. It just runs iwconfig to
choose network, and then sets up IP.

--
Ante Karamatic|--|ivoks(@)grad.hr|--|PGP: D3BDA225
http://master.grad.hr/~ivoks/|--|ICQ: 64631782