OT: Buying a new Ubuntu compatible PC

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Sun Jun 26 21:58:48 UTC 2005

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 02:37 am, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> Hello List
>
> I am looking for a new PC. I think it should be a AMD64 with 2 screens
> (2x TFT monitor). What would you "great Ubuntu community" recommend?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance ;-)
>
> Thomas

Here's my system:
Asus K8VSE Deluxe
Winfast A360? (FX5700 with 256MB) - dual head: 1 x 15-pin and 1 x DVI
AMD64 3000+
2 x 512MB RAM (1GB total - dual channel)
1 x 200GB SATA on the VIA controller (this board has 2 SATA controllers)
1 x Samsung CDRW+DVDROM combo drive on first PATA controller as master.

Here's my Ubuntu experience (actually I use Kubuntu) with this setup:

Installation:
============
Everything detected out of the box (including the weirdo gigabit LAN and
on-board sound).  The only glitch was getting the NVidia driver installed
because I needed to enable the "universe" (or was it "multiverse") repository
and install the "nvidia-glx" package.  The on-board USB/USB2 and Firewire
were all detected and can be used straight out of the box.  Very impressive.

Daily use:
=========
If you want a multi-media box, do NOT install it as AMD64, use i386 instead.
You cannot use 32bit codecs with 64bit players so most of the neat video and
stuff your friends will send you, wont be playable on a 64bit system with
64bit binaries.  There is a performance penalty for running 32bit
binaries/libraries (compared to fully 64bit) but the size of that penalty is
still out for debate :)  Remember that Winders expee is still only 32bit
unless you specifically buy the upgrade to 64bit winders (crashes in 1/2 the
time of it's 32bit stable mate) ;)

Just be aware that for all the kick-butt speed of AMD64, most of the
multi-media stuff will break under Linux - if that's important, run 32bit on
AMD64 or don't bother; just get an AMD AthlonXP or something that's not
64bit, save your pennies and buy some other gadget with the money you'll
save.

Have fun with your purchase :)

HTH,

James
--
My apologies if I sound angry.  I feel like I'm talking to a void.
 -- Avery Pennarun