laptop almost perfect

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sun Jun 26 20:40:12 UTC 2005

Todd Deshane wrote:

> On 6/25/05, *Eric S. Johansson* <esj at harvee.org <mailto:esj at harvee.org>>
> wrote:
>
>     sime wrote:
>      >
>      >> Somebody once pointed me at the hostap drivers, i didn't have
>      >> any luck with them with my orinoco card, but I think there was an
>      >> option to build prism modules.
>      >
>      >
>      > That's because an Orinoco card is not really a prism card.
>      >
>      >> the package name is hostap-source
>      >> not sure if that is what you are looking for though...
>      >
>      >
>      > If its Prism2/2.5/3 it is what you are looking for (google says so).
>      > AFAIK wlan-ng development stopped a while ago, hostap is actively
>      > maintained.
>
>     curious.  It looks like it's mostly used to turn a Linux machine into an
>     access point.  I think I'm probably better off buying just some cheap
>     ass modern card and using ndiswrappers
>     I am burning more time on these cards than they are worth.
>

> Did you try using module-assistant to configure the module?

Module-assistant is for building packages according to the documentation
is it something else you may be thinking of?

> also there was a recent thread on wireless cards that people
> had success (and problems) with,  can't seem to find it, but
> I am sure someone could point you there if give up on the
> card you are trying.

I've seen the thread.  I'll review it again.  It's really frustrating.
According to what documentation I can find, I have the modules I need
but they just don't work which means either the card documentation is
wrong or something.  It's just plain weird

I appreciate the assistance.

---eric